Monday, May 24, 2010

Motivication

Some of you may know that I've recently undergone a lot of theological research. This includes a chronological reading plan and several sermon downloads off the Mars Hill website. I've heard of Mark Driscoll before but I only recently started listening to his preaching. Good stuff.

The funny thing about all this is that I get more of this done when I'm at work than at home. I listen to my iPod when I'm at my computer, usually listening to sermons. I read the Bible during my breaks. I've also started getting Christian audiobooks like The Case for Christ. I want to get Don Miller's newest book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. But that's probably also because I'm a fan of Don Miller.

I also joined a band at my Church known as the Citadel.

I've been doing all this stuff, so many Christian things, like those crazy people who do nothing BUT Christian-related events like Christian schools, Christian books, Christian art contests. Not that there's anything wrong with those.

But yesterday I heard a sermon. It wasn't one I downloaded off the internet. It was at my church. It was about motives. The gist of it was that anything right done for the wrong reasons is still evil.

I know this isn't an overly profound or wordy blog. But it's basically caused me to take a look at what I'm doing. Am I doing this stuff because I want to be smart? Am I doing it out of genuinely wanting wisdom and growth and understanding of Scripture and God? Do I really read and listen to this stuff because I want to be a good leader for my future family? Or, God (literally) forbid, do I think on some level that doing stuff like this makes me right with God? I don't think it's the last one. In fact, I'm almost sure of it. But I do know that immersing myself in stuff like that is, at least, a help. I've also been blessed to have so many friends willing to help me along and offer their own wisdom. I've never been at a church where I felt like I could rant about this stuff and ask questions and people would actually read it and offer advice. So, thank you all.

Adam out. *warps away*

1 comment: