Tuesday, November 2, 2010

October Idiot

God's been trying to humble me lately. And you know what? It's working.

I think the best story for this I can give is our money situation. Basically, because my dad was in the Navy, I get two years of school paid for and get paid as long as I'm a full-time student. It's a sweet deal when it works.

That's the thing though. Sarrah and I have been unemployed since two weeks before we got married. With this economy it's been exceptionally hard for her to find a job. I've been going to school and am so overwhelmed with homework that I don't feel like I could be a decent husband if I used the remainder of my time during the day working. I'd never see my wife.

Then the money took forever to actually come. One night I had essentially reached my limit. It hadn't helped that I had just listened to this Mark Driscoll sermon where he basically does everything in his power to make married men (and boyfriends living with their girlfriends) feel like crap. I felt like I wasn't doing a good job leading for one thing. I had brought us here to Olympia, far away from all our family and friends. I decided to go to school so soon after getting married. I felt like the reason we were going broke. I wound up ranting to a friend of mine about this.

The next day, the money came. It went to my parents' house as a check (it's supposed to be direct deposited into my bank account), but it was still good! Finally a result!

Then of course I found out it was my fault it took so long anyways because I had given them the wrong bank number and they had my parents' address on file, not mine. The money had been rejected by whatever other bank account there was and got sent there as a check. Wow, I fail.

Finally, after feeling incredibly stupid, I decided, "Whatever. I'm human. I'm imperfect."

I think God's been doing that lately. Trying to make me feel like an utter idiot...at least if I try to do something without Him, that is. And that really is a stupid thing to do, isn't it? "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge" and whatnot.

So anyways, that's my update. It's funny how the money came the day after I go ranting about everything to someone. It's like God was saying, "You know, if you were just patient..."

No comments:

Post a Comment