Saturday, October 8, 2011

Denominations and its -ism

The other day I was talking with my Mom about denominations. It started with her asking, "So you're not Pentecostal anymore?" I know that sounds accusatory, but it really wasn't. You'd have to have heard her tone. I said I wasn't and gave my reasoning about the Holy Spirit indwelling every believer and how tongues isn't the ultimate sign of having the Holy Spirit in you. It wasn't an argument, just a discussion.

Then she said that she didn't like non-denominational churches. That came from the fact that the church in Bremerton I used to (and occasionally still do) attend is non-denominational. Again, it wasn't anything against the church itself. I think it was just a general thing. I said it's hard to not like non-denominational churches because what they believe really depends on the church instead of a denominational group. And that was her point.

I think it comes from the idea of the church leaders not having any accountability to a "higher" church leader, the denomination leader. Every denomination has a central group: the Baptists have several (there are a lot of Baptist denominations, such as Southern Baptists, Reformed Baptists, Independent Baptists, etc), the Methodists have at least two, the Presbyterians have several, etc. I think she didn't like the idea of these other churches operating outside that authority.

Personally, I see her point. Church leaders need to have accountability. I would say that the church leaders are accountable to God, the Bible, and the congregation. But this post isn't a counter-argument to my Mom. That story was really more the launching point for what I thought about later on.

Personally, I don't mind denominations. If not for someone with a right interpretation of the Bible openly protesting and separating from the people who had it wrong, we wouldn't have the Protestant church today. I don't know if you can consider that a denomination, but some people do.

Plus, a church's affiliation with a denomination helps an outsider seeking a church to know what that church believes and what it emphasizes. If you see an Assembly of God church, you know they believe in a separate Baptism of the Holy Spirit after salvation, speaking in tongues, etc. If you have a Baptist church, you know they believe in Believer's Baptism (where only believers are baptized) as opposed to Infant Baptism (where infants of believers are baptized as well as believers). Presbyterians are historically reformed. The list goes on. So no, I don't have a huge problem with denominations.

The problem I have is with denominationalism. That's where two things happen:

  1. A church is so devoted to its denomination that a proper interpretation of Scripture has the potential to be compromised
  2. A church is so devoted to its denomination so as to chastise anyone who doesn't agree with them and be divisive over minor issues
We've seen these happen before. The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) has made the ruling that an unwed pastor doesn't have to be sexually chaste. They also allow for ordination of homosexuals. Both of these are forbidden in the Bible, but the denomination (and by extension most of the churches under that denomination) doesn't care. Thankfully some churches are leaving that denomination for a more theologically sound one (I have friends who attend a church that, last I heard, was thinking of leaving PCUSA for the Evangelical Presbyterians).

Now, I just mentioned being divisive over minor issues. But these churches are dividing over something. Here's the thing: the pastor's moral uprightness is NOT a minor issue. The pastor is responsible for shepherding the church of God, and that includes leading by example. He may not be perfect, but when he is blatantly continuing in sin without any regards to what the Bible says and refuses to repent, he needs to be removed. Jesus wants His church to be pure.

It can be difficult to really determine what is an issue worthy of division. I'd say when the integrity of the Bible and submission to it and God are at stake, it's a big deal. I'd say when salvation and the seriousness of sin are wrongly taught (or just not mentioned in favor of seeker-friendly feel-good self-help), it's a big deal. But no one can get it perfectly.

So, anyone want to comment? I'm happy to hear what people have to say about this. Maybe someone will have a better idea on what's truly big enough to have to divide over.

No comments:

Post a Comment