Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Any Time the Ground Yields

Many of you probably know that I have a baby on the way. In fact, not only is she on the way, but she only has a couple months until she’s born! It’s hard to believe she’s arriving so soon, but it’s true, and I’m very excited about it.

Also, as I’m sure most young parents would, I find myself wondering and worrying about how we will be able to support her. Right now my wife and I both work full-time. Pretty soon my wife will be on maternity leave, meaning that we’ll only have my paycheck coming in, which doesn't seem like enough to provide for a family by itself. Now, some people I know would read that and instantly categorize me as a bad husband, as if income is the only measure of how well someone meets the standard of “husband material,” but that’s an issue that I think is worth its own post.

So, like I previously said, I keep wondering about, and even being anxious over, this question of where the money to support our child will come from. Mathematically, it makes no sense to me. I know how much I make a month. I have a general idea of how much we pay in bills per month. Add a baby onto that and we’re in the red. Right?

Well, not necessarily.

Doesn’t the Bible say that God will provide (Gen. 22:14)? Didn’t Jesus command us to pray for God to give us our daily bread (Matt. 6:11)? And didn’t Jesus feed thousands of people with only a few pieces of food on more than one occasion (Mark 6:30-44; 8:1-9)? Compare that with my salary providing for three people and suddenly I find that I have absolutely no excuse to be worried.

I also need to remember that, no matter how much money I make per month, our provision ultimately cannot and does not come from me. The ground is cursed because of the fall, and it will refuse to yield to me no matter how much I work it. But I know exactly who takes care of us. Any time the ground does yield, it is only because the Father who created it commands it to do so. It is only due to the blessing of God in the life of my family. I’m not saying I should just kick back and do nothing, for to do that would mean directly disobeying my Lord (2 Thess. 3:10; 1 Tim. 5:8). God provides through my work. God takes care of his people far more abundantly than they can imagine. And ultimately, no matter how much money or stuff we have, God works all things in order that we be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ (Romans 8:28).

Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (Matt 6:25-33)

No comments:

Post a Comment