Friday, March 1, 2013

You Are Not of God

Observations From My Study (John 8:47)

A few weeks ago, Tabletalk Magazine's weekly verse was John 8:47:

Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.

I thought that, considering the two posts this week, it was an appropriate verse. It clearly states that only those who are of God hear his words - that is, understand and follow them. The Reformation Study Bible says about this verse: "Sin paralyzes our spiritual senses. Only an act of God’s grace enables a sinner to hear His voice."

This is a common theme throughout the book of John. In John 10:26 Jesus says to the Pharisees, "You do not believe because you are not among my sheep." In 18:37 he says to Pilate, "Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” Then in 1 John 4:6 the apostle writes, "Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us." People often call John the Apostle of Love; I almost think he should be called the Apostle of Election, because I think the clearest case for election can be made from John 6.

It's so clear. Why don't we accept it?

No comments:

Post a Comment